jeudi 27 décembre 2012

First times

Here are some of my very first experiences when arriving in Moscow with my flat mate.

One of the first things on your To Do list when moving in another country and priority for most students is: food! So we decided to go to our local supermarket and get familiar with Russian food (quite different from European food). When arriving at the cashier, freshly arrived from Europe we both had a strong accent and this is how we ended up asking if we could pay "with potatoes" instead of "by card", smiling widely (and therefore looking more ridiculous). So small is the difference between карточка (credit card) and  картошка (potatoe), isn't it? The cashier as well as the other clients behind us looked at us as if we were two Siberian peasants coming from our isolated farm somewhere where people still pay with potatoes and other similar natural products. Let me tell you, from that day we never forgot this word (and we found another supermarket, to remain anonymous indeed).

On the next day, another experience was waiting for me: my first time to the chemist. The chemist and I will certainly remember that day! As I presumed alcohol would be the same word in Russian, I asked, self-confident, for a bottle of alcohol. As the woman seemed quite surprised, I understood alcohol was NOT the same word in Russian. So I went on explaining that I wasn't an alcoholic but I really needed a bottle of alcohol "you know, like Vodka, but not so strong"... How shameful I felt when she answered me, after my long, detailed, understandable explanation: "Yes, I understood your problem, look, Vodkas are just behind you, in the supermarket". Six years studying Russian and being able to get nothing but a bottle of Vodka made me feel sad (not sad enough to go and drink the Vodka though ^^). After ten minutes and a furious Russian waiting after me in the queue, she finally said "ahhh antiseptic?!". Why did the French alternative never cross my mind? I just don't know, but what a shame it was for me! (also remembered this word since that day, also go to another chemist now)

Some time later, I was meeting a Russian friend at a restaurant and though we weren't married yet I told him that "I am really sorry but we have to divorce now, cause I need to go back to work" with the sad face you're supposed to do in this situation. It reminded me of my first time to the mobile phone shop in England, when I told the sales assistant that "It would be good for you and for me if I engaged to you for a year, you know like a one-year contract" instead of saying that I just wanted a contract for a year because I thought it'd be cheaper. The guy actually didn't turn me down and gave me his number,  "just in case you would need some help with your phone settings" he said.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire